A criminal conviction or even an arrest in your past can cause you significant difficulties in your future. Most employers, colleges, banks, law enforcement and even landlords conduct criminal background checks causing you to lose potential job, education, loan, and housing opportunities. The only way to prevent the public from discovering your criminal history is to file a petition for expunction or non-disclosure


When you are arrested a public record is created that is entered into the Texas Crime Information Center database, the National Crime Information Center database, and into county records. These records can be obtained by private entities even if your charges were dismissed or if you were found not guilty at trial.

An expunction is the process by which your criminal charges and arrests are completely removed from your record. Once an expungement is made, the record cannot ever be discovered by anyone, leading to a clean background check, of the expunged charge.


A petition for expunction may be filed in the following circumstances:

-The criminal charges were dismissed

-The criminal charges were refused by the prosecuting attorney’s office

-You were found ‘guilty’ at trial, but the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals overturned your conviction

-You were found ‘guilty’ at trial, but received a pardon from the Governor

-You received a deferred disposition for a Class C misdemeanor offense

To get more information about expunctions and see if you qualify, give our office a call to schedule a free consultation with Craig Greaves.


A non-disclosure order also known as “sealing your record” allows you to completely deny the occurrence of your arrest and prosecution, giving you the opportunity to freely pursue employment, education, and other opportunities that may have previously been unavailable to you because of your arrest record. Although your record is kept from the public, your record may still be used against you during any future criminal proceedings by law enforcement authorities and the courts.


If you are charged with an offense and completed a deferred adjudication successfully, you are eligible for non-disclosure. Straight probation however does not qualify for non-disclosure.

To see if you qualify for non-disclosure, give our office a call to schedule an appointment with Craig Greaves.